Thursday, June 2, 2011

Bradford Washburn, Mountain, 1978


Creator: Bradford Washburn
Date:  April 2nd, 1978

Bradford Washburn was the founding director of Boston’s Museum of Science. He was the director of the museum for 2 decades before his death in 1985. He traveled around the world for over eight decades taking pictures of landscapes from mountains to the Grand Canyon. He pioneered the use of aerial photography for the analysis mountaineering and planning the mountaineering expeditions.  He was also responsible for creating maps of various mountain ranges that are still used today. Bradford gathered many awards over his career and life ranging from nine honorary doctorates, and the Centennial Award of the National Geographic Society. He also received the King Albert Medal of Merit.  He specialized in Aerial photography and his maps made of many Alaskan mountains are still being used today as maps for people that are hiking the various paths.
I selected this photo, because when I saw it, it reminded me of being home and seeing the side of a mountain after an avalanche. I also like the way the photo makes you feel when you look at it. I see it and it makes me feel like I am in the picture on the side of the mountain. I can feel the cold air hitting my arms and legs and a shiver goes up my back. I also feel like this picture is unique something that you wouldn’t see from anyone. I feel like this is a powerful image, the reason being if you compare the sky to the snowy mountain they are so different color wise that it really makes the snowy mountain pop out of the image. I would change it so that a person in the picture so that I could have a size comparison.

No comments:

Post a Comment